As of 1st April 2011, Hellaby became a Parish in its own right once again. This is the result of many years hard work and dedication.
The Parish elections on 5th May 2011 saw the formation of your new Parish Council. David Bird, Maggie Peart, Ted Kelsey, Keren Firth and Joanne Fieldhouse all read and signed their Declaration of Acceptance of Office in front of the Proper Officer, Tim Mumford from Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council, at the inaugural meeting of Hellaby Parish Council on 17th May 2011. David was duly elected Chair, Maggie as Vice-Chair and Joanne as Acting Clerk for Hellaby Parish Council.
There is a lot of work to be done in the coming weeks and months, not least the reopening of Centenary Hall after several years of being boarded up, which all five Councillors are raring to get going on. It is hoped that the residents of Hellaby village, Hellaby Community Project, companies on Hellaby Industrial Estate, and Hellaby Parish Council will work together for the benefit of the whole community.
Hellaby's roots stretch far back into the past. Once known by the Norse name Helgebei, the hamlet appears in the Doomsday Book of 1086. Hellaby Hall was built by the Fretwell family in the late 17th century and is now a hotel and spa facility. It retains it's colonial heritage to this day. Hellaby is a quiet hamlet of two halves, the industrial estate to the north of the A631 and residential estate to the south. The main focus of the village is the Barrie Grove Playing Field and of course, Centenary Hall.